Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Gary Rossington: The Awesome Rebel G

February 23rd 2010
Author Christo Strom

Gary Rossington: “The Awesome” Rebel G – An Excerpt from The Great Pumpkin Letters

Chief Crazy Captain Christo takes time out of his busy day to reflect and ponder about

a guitar player whom he selectively has given the nickname of “ The Awesome”. Now you might

think I'm crazy to give a nickname to someone I have never spoken to live. You would be mostly right about that. I am crazy but with a capital SEA. Led by a rebel rocker, the band is well known beyond belief. Shakin like a leaf on a tree, I casually walked around the Great Minnesota Get Together recently headlined by Kid Rock , and was flabbergasted that Lynyrd Skynyrd was the opening act. To give you a perspective on why I am calling Gary Rossington “ The Awesome “ let's go back a few years shall we.

Back in the late seventies early eighties, there was a band that I just loved calling themselves The Rossington-Collins Band. I won't go into their history but to put it mildly they ROCKED!” What I loved about this particular band was they put a female singer in the lineup. I don't need to tell anyone really but I will anyway. This woman has got some soulful pipes inlaid in her frame. If I am not mistaken, she also is ( I hope anyway!) married to Gary Rossington. Congratulations Mr and Mrs Rossington!

This is a conversation I am conducting right now as I type to the Great Rossingtons. The names for this piece are changed to protect my exclusive rights when I make this into a book, movie and Thea Tree House that Rocks. Gary Rossington will be GROSS and his wife will be D-KROSS

Chief Crazy Captain Christo will be as always The O-Range Blob of Light. The place is called ANYWHERE. The year will be 2010. Here you go and you are welcome to it Skynyrd FANS!

O-Range Blob of Light, shining too bright for anyone to see, “ Hey GROSS, D-KROSS, can you help out a brother?”

GROSS-” Outta here! It's too bright! C'mon Dale let's go somewhere a little more shady. This bright O-Range Blob of Light is killin my eyes.”

D-KROSS “ Hey I'm ready and waitin on you. Gary, this bright O-Range Blob of Light seems to be beckoning us to follow him. Don't misunderstand me but let's hear him out ok.”

O-Range Blob of Light-” Thank you D-KROSS. Now let me be briefly crazy for a minute. I have an upcoming project I have tentatively called BUILDING A THEA-TREE HOUSE. What this involves is gathering together the best and greatest musicians on the planet for a purpose. The purpose is to build a 7,200 seat outdoor/indoor Thea Tree House that to put it mildly will flippin Rock. Can I count on you Mr. GROSS to at least show up and listen to what I have to say?

GROSS:” You got my attention now so why don't you turn down that orange light and we'll discuss this privately so I can be assured that there aint no more dirty deals comin my way.”

O-Range Blob of Light-” I can't turn down the light because that's who I am. Just close your eyes and listen and open your ears to see. This 7,200 seat project will require teamwork that I would like to see come together around July 9th 2010. I will be sliding on down to Nebraska around Omaha but the exact place will be determined at a later date. I kind of threw a dart and Omaha showed its colors if you know what I mean. I hope to show up and do a few skateboard maneuvers on a radical ramp with my Dimebag Razorback Explosion Guitar and would appreciate it if you could show me a few sliding tricks.

D-KROSS-” Yeah right the next phone call to your wife would be uh excuse me Mamm but your husband just broke his neck when he fell off the slide”

At this everyone, including The O-Range Blob of Light erupted in thunderous laughter and outside all around was extreme lightning strikes. This has been another abbreviated version of The Great Pumpkin Letters. Stay tuned for 2010 when Chief Crazy Captain Christo explains why he gave the nickname of The Awesome to Gary Rossington.

P.S. ( that's Pumpkin Script) Long Live The AWESOME REBEL G


No comments:

Post a Comment